There are six d-words that provide a great “litmus test”, for not only choosing the best real estate agent but also for choosing any person you’d like to work, play, pay, consult or couple with based on how many of these six traits they display.
For purposes of this article, the focus is on d-words to seriously consider when choosing to work with a REALTOR. The more of the following 6 words used to describe your Real Estate Agent, the more likely you are to have a satisfying experience when selling or buying your next home.
- DEPENDABLE. Can your Real Estate Agent be counted on to deliver what they promise? Can you trust them to help you with one of the biggest financial decisions of your life?
- DIRECT. Does your Real Estate Agent ask direct questions in order to pinpoint your deepest desires and goals? Do they tell you what you need to hear in order to help you identify and accomplish these goals rather or what they think you want to hear to suit their own purposes?
- DEDICATED. Is your Real Estate Agent focused on you and what you need to accomplish rather than on themselves and what they need to do in order to make a sale or get the listing? Are they dedicated to their career as a real estate professional or are they selling real estate as an additional source of income while working another full-time job?
- DILIGENT. The dictionary defines diligent as “constant in effort to accomplish something. Attentive and persistent in doing anything.” When you look at the challenges in today’s real estate market from short sales to foreclosures to getting approved for a loan, you definitely want a REALTOR who is diligent.
- DIPLOMATIC. Does this person have the ability to “employ tact and conciliation, especially in times of stress” as defined by Merriam-Webster? Change of residence is considered a major life stress. You want a seasoned professional with the ability to lessen the impact of that stress, not add to it.
- DETERMINED. Is this person resolved to do whatever needs to be done to help you accomplish your ultimate goal of buying or selling a home in today’s challenging real estate market? Whether you are a first-time home buyer, investor or experienced home buyer or seller looking to move up or downsize, you need a REALTOR with determination to help you navigate the increasingly complex, real estate waters. These waters teem with complex loan programs, required disclosures, inspections, short sales, REOs, mineral rights and other land-use issues. You want to know your REALTOR will be in your corner throughout the transaction-no matter how difficult or complex things get.
When you choose to invest your valuable time and money with someone, whether it is a REALTOR, doctor, attorney, contractor, financial planner or life partner, it’s important to find someone whose character traits you can describe with most of the above d-words. If you can do that, you will probably end up happy with your choice.
At Inwood Real Estate, you can rest assured knowing that we are definitely DEPENDABLE, DIRECT, DEDICATION, DILIGENT, DIPLOMATIC and DETERMINED.